International Hartt Reunion
Hosted by Diana Cowland
|June 19, 20, 21, 2004||Fredricton, New Brunswick, Canada|
INTERNATIONAL HARTT REUNION REVIEW
The idea of an international Hartt reunion came to the minds of Diana Cowland and Carole Dick after finding so many Hartts as a result of four years of research. The decision was made and the date set for June 19-20-21, 2004 to be held at the Lord Beaverbrook Hotel in Fredericton, New Brunswick.
Reunion Family History
Room - Garrison Room of Lord Beaverbrook Hotel
The reunion family history room was decorated in red, white and blue garland with hearts in it. Many brought photos of their family group and displayed them on the tables. Everyone's attention was drawn to the 2 ft wide x 126 ft long Hartt Tree Wall Chart with 1886 descendants and 905 spouses featured. It showed all 12 generations descending from Isaac, born in 1614. Heartland Family Graphics in South Dakota took ten hours to print it. It is the largest tree chart they have printed.
Another noteworthy display item was the 158-year-old quilt loaned to the reunion by Mark Taylor of New York City. The signature red and white quilt was made in Fredericton in 1846 as a farewell gift to Amelia (Pamelia Jane Hartt b. 1805) who married Thomas Warne and later moved to Missouri. Many of the names on the quilt are on our Hartt Family Tree. Over the past 158 yrs the quilt has been in Missouri; Iowa; Alabama; Washington, D.C. and now is in New York City.
June 19, 2004
Diana took the registration
and gave nametags and gift bags with a pewter New Brunswick pin attached,
depicting the provincial flower, the purple violet. Inside were a notepad,
pen and gum, which came in handy for those wanting to take notes.
The guest book was presided over by Olive Fordham of Michigan. On her table was an arrangement of flags representing the different provinces and states where attendees lived. Olive provided each one with a red sticker to place beside their name on the tree chart.
Tammy Gaudet and her daughter, Jennifer, were kept busy handing out the "Hart to Hartt, A Family History" book to those who ordered a copy. Hartt crest magnets and historiography placemats were available for purchase. Jeff and Denelle Hartt of Colorado did a fine job of designing and laminating the placemats. We sold over 70 placemats and 60 magnets. Before leaving on a bus tour, a group photo was taken on the stairs of the hotel lobby.
Shortly after 11:00 am., we took a bus to the former Hartt's Mills, now known as Fredericton Junction. We ate a catered lunch at the Gladstone Curling Club. Displays were set up for all of us to enjoy. After eating a variety of sandwiches and reunion cake, Katherine Dewitt, a local historian, spoke of the early families of Hartt's Mills. Then everyone was given an opportunity to introduce himself or herself and to speak about how they fit into the family tree.
After a brief rain, we visited the United Baptist Church where a stained glass window had been dedicated in memory of Pioneer Thomas Hartt (1771-1853) who founded Hartt's Mills. We spent a few minutes in the Gladstone Cemetery with the caretaker, Alan Merereau, showing where many Hartts were laid to rest. Unfortunately we were rained out. David Hartt had given a parcel of land in 1872, to be used as the cemetery.
Our next stop was at the Currie House Museum. The two-story house was built in 1900. This was a wonderful museum depicting what houses looked like at the turn of the century. Florence Clark of Alberta, was especially thrilled to see a photo and a doctor's diploma of her great aunt Dr. Elizabeth Secord (1841-1916) who was the first registered female doctor in New Brunswick. While others were looking around the grand old house, Katherine Dewitt was able to supply lots of information about Aaron Hartt (1811-1868) to family descendants of Michigan. (Camilla White and Adrienne Kaufman) Before leaving Fredericton Junction, we saw where Hartt's mills were once located on the North West Branch of the Oromocto River at a small falls. The lumber mill was constructed around 1810. Today the level of the river is very low.
We left Fredericton Junction and drove through the Town of Oromocto, past Base Gagetown, the largest military base in the British Commonwealth. We crossed the St. John River at Burton and continued on downriver to see the very old Sheffield Congregational Church, now the United Church of Canada. It was dedicated in 1842 and had box pews. A room upstairs used to have shackles on the wall to contain slaves while their owners were attending the service. We think that possibly Jonathan (1710-approx.1790) and Mercy Hartt were buried in the area. Spring floods have long washed the original wooden crosses away. On the way back to the city, we saw the world's largest man-made potato that stands in front of a local tradition, Harvey's Vegetable Stand in Maugerville.
We were all dressed up by 6:30 pm. to attend the reunion banquet in the Peticodiac Room of the hotel. . Helium balloons were floated on the ceiling along with heart decorations on the walls and the punch bowl table. Suzanne Cowland who lives in Toronto donated the Lindt after-dinner mints. Beautiful geraniums were the table centerpieces. Souvenir bookmarkers were at each place setting designed by Carole. We were served Atlantic salmon and fiddleheads with carrot cake for dessert. Eating fiddleheads was a "first" for most out of province attendees.
Paul Hartt of New Brunswick said the Blessing on the food. During the meal, Diana gave gifts of framed photos of New Brunswick scenes to certain attendees. Florence Clark of Alberta won the prize for being the oldest in attendance at 90 years of age. Allen Hartt travelled the farthest, from Port Alberni, British Columbia. Jeff Hartt accepted a prize for coming the farthest in the United States. (Colorado) They also brought the youngest reunion attendee; son Jake was 17 months old. Carole Dick of Alberta was presented a gift of local pottery in the fiddlehead pattern. After dinner, Carole gave a presentation outlining the research and planning that went into writing the book about the Hartt families. Diana presented a cheque for $200.00 to Deanna Duplisea, for the Fredericton Junction Historical Society, on behalf of the reunion guests. Gaye Hartt read a greeting from her aunt Jean Barnard of Victoria. B.C.
To conclude the evening the Village Aires from Fredericton Junction entertained us with their lively instrumental numbers and singing songs of yesteryear. This was a special treat as it brought back good memories of when we were young! ! Photos were taken and the family history room was open for viewing.
June 20, 2004
On Sunday, we left at 9:30 am. on a bus tour of Carleton County, arriving in Hartland, a community some think was named after Rev. Samuel Hartt, to see the world's longest covered bridge. It was officially opened on July 4, 1901 and is 1,282 feet long. Some walked out on the bridge to get a better view of the St. John River. Later we stopped at the Lower Waterville 3rd Tier Cemetery. This is where Rev. Samuel Hartt Jr. (1799-1867) and Mary (Estey) Hartt are buried along with many of their children. The cemetery was deeded in 1868. It was so very windy and cold so we didn't stay long. We continued back upriver to Woodstock, where we ate a delicious full course dinner at the Atlantic Inn. Woodstock is New Brunswick's oldest incorporated town.
On the way back
to Fredericton, Diana asked the bus driver to drive to the top of the
Springhill Road so that we could take photos of Hartt Island and enjoy
the view of the river. It was named after Rev. Samuel Hartt Sr. (1745-1814)
who once owned the island in the early 1800's for pasturing his cattle.
Following the tour the family history room was open for several hours.
The Thomas Hartt branch of the family had a potluck supper at Don and Deanna Duplisea's home in Fredericton Junction. Those who stayed at the hotel had an enjoyable evening in the hotel's swimming pool and hot tub. Others went out for a lobster supper or visited local family members.
June 21, 2004
On Monday morning, we went on a walking tour of the historic Garrison District in downtown Fredericton. The first stop was in Officer's Square, which is surrounded by wrought-iron fencing in the fiddlehead pattern. The old officer's quarters now houses the York-Sunbury Museum. A statue of Lord Beaverbrook, who was raised in New Brunswick, stood in the center of the parade square. This philanthropist has donated many buildings to the people of NB., including the Beaverbrook Art Gallery and his personal art collection.
Farther up Queen St. we saw the old Guard House used by the British soldiers in the 19th century. Across from it was the enlisted men's barracks, with a sundial on the east wall. The ground floor now houses local craft stores.
We toured the Legislative Assembly Building with its floating spiral staircase, which led up to the visitor's gallery, from where we could view the grand room where the Legislature holds sessions. Portraits of past provincial Lieutenant-Governors covered the walls.
Christ Church Cathedral (Anglican), an example of one of the earliest and best examples of 19th century Gothic Revival architecture, was constructed in 1853. On an earlier visit (June 18), and to her delight, Bea Still was allowed to play the beautiful pipe organ. John and Diana Cowland were married in this magnificent church. A special pew is reserved for Queen Elizabeth of England when she comes for a visit.
We ate a bountiful lunch at the Lunar Rogue Pub. In the afternoon, we were given a guided tour of the Beaverbrook Art Gallery by docent, Diana Cowland. The gallery collection includes works by Dali, Gainsborough, Copley, and Turner, among others of note.
To finish off the gathering, we met at the Lighthouse Adventure Centre just behind the Lord Beaverbrook Hotel and went for an hour-long boat tour of the St. John River. We could see the campus of the University of New Brunswick and St. Thomas University along with other points of interest from the boat, owned and operated by the city's mayor, Brad Woodside. The sun finally came out and we had a delightful ride as we visited together to conclude our three-day reunion.
Reunions are a place where one can find connections to the family. This reunion was no exception. A mother and her daughter registered hoping they were part of the Isaac clan. By the second day they found their connection so they could stop wondering and enjoy the activities knowing they were kinfolk. We all rejoiced with them. Another mother and daughter made an inquiry; we will continue to work with them on a possible connection.
Goodbyes were said as we parted for our homes. It was a delightful three days of touring and visiting with cousins we never knew we had. A great big thank you goes out to Diana Cowland of Fredericton for hosting a well-organized reunion. We all went home with precious memories of our short time together in the land of our forefathers.