David Roy Hartt

A Narrative


© 2002 Don Denton

Jennie Lind Roach Hartt and David Roy Hartt

Note:  The following narrative was dictated in 1977.  Except where indicated, the information was current at that time. 


Our Ancestors

Several of the Hartt clan emigrated from England to the New England States in the middle 1600’s - some settled in the neighborhood of New York City (some of these, in fact, owned Staten Island) and others went into shipbuilding.  You will remember that the famous “Constitution” was built in Hartt’s Ship Yard.  However, at the time of the Revolution, several of the Hartt clan became Loyalists and, rather than take up arms against England, gave up their holdings in the States and moved to New Brunswick, Canada.  Included in this group are the ones who owned Staten Island.




My grandparents, on my father’s side, were Aaron and Susanna Hartt (nee Dayton); he was a schoolteacher and taught in a little one roomed school - just out from Woodstock, New Brunswick - but he was badly afflicted with asthma in his later years.  My father had to go to work at an early age and was first apprenticed to a printer but, later, went to work keeping books for one of the lumber companies in that area and worked up to the position of head surveyor.


My grandparents were born-again Christians who truly believed God’s Word, and my father told us that when he was in his late teens his father had been reading a Christian publication and he came to an article which mentioned that the “latter rains” had started to fall, again, in Palestine.  He called the family’s attention to the article and stated that as sure as these “latter rains” had started to fall, just so surely would Israel start to re-gather back to Palestine, for God had so stated in His Word.  This must have been in the late 1860’s and now we see them, as a nation, back in their land.  Truly, the coming of the Lord draweth nigh!


On my mother’s side, the Wilson clan and the Davidson clan came over to Canada from either Scotland or North Ireland and settled in New Brunswick on, or near, the Miramachi River.  My Grandfather, John Wilson, married Eliza Davidson and my mother was the eldest (I believe) of six children - two boys and four girls.  Grandfather Wilson ran a store and a gristmill near the river at Derby, which is not far from Newcastle, and here my mother, was born and brought up.  She finished her Normal training at seventeen, started to teach school and continued for some years.




When she was about thirty, one of her sisters (who had married Jim Bruce) went over to Hungary with her family and husband.  He had been commissioned to set up, and put into operation, a factory for the firm with which he was connected and, later, they arranged for Letitia, my mother, to come over and help at the time of the birth of their next child.  Letitia stayed for about one year, after which she returned to New Brunswick, then my father and she met; they were married in, possibly, July 1885 (I am not sure of the month for Allen Hartt has the family records) and Eliza was born in May 1886.  H. Bruce was born June 15, 1887, both children were born in New Brunswick, Canada.


The Family Moves To Tacoma


In 1888, the family moved to Minnesota where Father served as Head Surveyor for Mussers-Sauntry Company in northern Minnesota and northern Wisconsin.  C. Frederick Hartt and Frank Leslie Hartt were born, I believe, in Minnesota; Katherine Margaret Hartt, Paul Allen Hartt and I were all born at White Birch, Wisconsin - it was later called Solon Springs, Wisconsin.


In February, 1898, my father (after applying for, and being promised, a transfer to the West Coast with Weyerhaeuser Timber Company, the parent company) sent Mother and us six children - Eliza having died March 16, 1894 - together with Mother’s sister, Mary Wilson, all the way to Tacoma, Washington, while he remained until the transfer could be effected.  We took the train from White Birch to St. Paul, where we stayed for a day or so with Mother’s cousins, the Scotts.  Mrs. Scott was Mother’s first cousin - her mother and my Grandmother Wilson were sisters.


From St. Paul, we traveled, via Northern Pacific, all the way to Tacoma, Washington.  I was just under four years of age and I do not remember very much of that trip; however, I have often heard my brothers tell of seeing the bears in Montana, or in Yellowstone, I am not sure which.


Upon our arrival in Tacoma we stayed, briefly, with our aunt Annie C. Hartt, my father’s sister, who was Acting Matron of the “White Shield Home” in Tacoma.  When Mother was able to locate a house for us, we moved into 3211 North 25th Street and the children entered the Sherman school (with which Mother was not satisfied).  This house had running water and plumbing, but I do not think that we had electric lights.


Within a year or so we moved to 415 North M Street, where the children could attend the Bryant School which had the best rating in Tacoma, at that time.


About a year after our move to 415 N. M Street, Father quit his company and came out to Tacoma; he had been unable to get a transfer to Weyerhaeuser.  He started looking for work at various lumber companies but, owing to quite “hard times” in 1900, he was able to obtain part time work loading cars with lumber - and that only occasionally.  We were offered a house (rent free, I believe) at Lake City, some seven miles south of South Tacoma; this house belonged to Chaplain Stubbs and he had named it “Sherwood Place.” We moved here the fall of 1900 together with our aunt Annie, who was the schoolteacher for the next two years, who lived with us and was, for some months, our principal means of support.  This arrangement was very hard on my mother, for her two brothers (who were medical Doctors) and her sisters (who had married prominent businessmen looked down on my father.  They esteemed him to be just a poor “Lumberman” and this situation would only add fuel to their ridicule.  Father then got work at the Northern Pacific shops in South Tacoma, sorting scrap metals, and rode his bicycle to and from work.


In the summer of 1901, my brother, Bruce, was able to get work on Dr. Fisher’s farm over near DuPont (which was about five miles from Lake City) at $5 per month and worked the summer months.


In late March of 1902, we were able to move over to the Hannah Place, which was about two miles due west of South Tacoma.  This place consisted of 39 acres - 660 feet wide and a half-mile long, stretching east and west - and here we were able to have several cows, a horse and buggy (Father called it only a spring wagon) and some chickens.  I failed to mention that we had at least one cow and some chickens at the “Sherwood Place” and we brought these with us when we moved over to the “Hannah Place.”


By this time, Father had been able to secure better, and more steady, work with the Northern Pacific and Bruce, who had graduated from the eighth grade in January of 1900, was able to get work in the N.P.’s Machine Shop running a drill press.  They were able to walk to work quite easily as it was just under two miles from home, although they worked ten hours per day - from 7:00 AM until 6:00 PM.


My father and mother were real examples of faith and trust in the Lord, and I owe very much to their godly examples when they were under stress and strain.  Only the Lord could uphold them as they stood during many trials and difficulties, as I recall them.


It was at the “Hannah Place” that we first met H. A. Ironside – who was, later, known as Dr. Harry Ironside - as he and his wife came to our place in 1903, and it was here that we had our first Brethren Conference of Tacoma, in 1904.  All six of us Hartt children were baptized in “Brewer’s Creek”, which ran through our meadow; my brothers had dammed up the creek to make a swimming hole, and Brother Ironside baptized us.  At these conferences - which were held on our farm for four years, as I recall - the men folk all slept in the hay of the hay mow and the women folk were billeted in the house, many on straw ticks on the floor.  Later on, these conferences were held in South Tacoma, in a hall that we would rent for the occasion.


As there was no school located in the district in which the “Hannah Place” was located, and as the city schools demanded $1 per month per child for tuition, five of us children were unable to finish grade school; however, about spring 1906 - owing to a new State grant to the cities - they offered to take us tuition-free, so Katherine, Paul and I went to the Oakland School for six weeks and finished out the term.  Katherine and Paul did not go back the next term so I did not, either, and it was not until the fall of 1908 that I decided to return and finish my grade school education.  This decision was reached through the godly advice and influence of Miss Anna Jepson, sister of Dr. Annis Jepson, and I went back to the Oakland School that year and then to the Bryant School for my 9th grade and graduated in June 1910.  During that school year, we had moved from the “Hannah Place” in November to 5616 South Warner St, South Tacoma, where my parents lived until the Lord took them home; Father in May, 1940, and Mother in February, 1941.


Starting To Work


In November 1910, I went to work for the South Tacoma Feed Co., driving a one-horse delivery wagon, delivering feed, grain and hay in the South Tacoma area.  During this month my brother, Fred (who had been suffering from a very severely damaged heart due to having overworked after suffering inflammatory rheumatism), died.  He was nearly 22 years of age.  Fred was the most godly of us children, in my estimation.


On December 1st, I was offered the opportunity to go to work for Balfour, Guthrie & Co., in Tacoma, and I was with them until March 31, 1915, when they reduced their forces due to the war in Britain.  They were a British firm.


In April, I went over to Seattle and joined my brother, Bruce, who was driving “Jitney Bus” for Will McLean.  Bruce taught me to drive and I had to learn the streets of downtown Seattle in order to obtain a Chauffeur’s License; this done, I started to drive “Jitney.”  I drove Will’s 1913 Model-T Ford touring car in opposition to the street cars - at 5 cent fare - on the East Union run which started at First and Pike and went up Pike Street to Seventeenth Avenue, then south on Seventeenth to East Union and then east on Union to Thirty-fourth Avenue.  There, we turned around, loaded and went back down Union to Eighteenth Avenue where we turned north to East Pike Street then west back to First and Pike.


Bruce and I boarded with Will McLean, and here I became better acquainted with Jennie Roach (who was Mrs. McLean’s helper in the house).  I had seen her a number of times at conferences, as well as having met her parents, also.  I only drove for the McLeans less than three months when he decided that the old Ford would not stand so many drivers and I was laid off.  I then drove for several other owners - principally, Gilbert Kennedy with his Maxwell car - while Bruce was driving Will McLean’s Dodge, by this time.  Both Bruce and I quit driving “Jitney” the summer of 1916; Bruce went to work for Sears, Roebuck & Co and I, after several jobs, went to work for the National Grocery Co., as Billing Clerk, where I remained until December, 1917, when I went to work for the Puget Sound Navy Yard as a Machine Operator, operating Punch and Shear machines.  



Picture from Roy's ID Badge

(Click on picture to see full size)



Engagement To Jennie


It was while I was working at National Grocery that Jennie and I became engaged, in May 1917.  Came 1918, wedding plans began to be formulated and April 7th was set.


In March, we searched for a house and were able, under God, to locate a little house at 339-1/2 - 9th St., in Bremerton, which we rented.  It consisted of two rooms - kitchen and living-bed room – plus a front porch, enclosed with canvas, and a 9 X 12 tent that had wood floor and two-foot walls of shiplap, which was attached to the front porch.  This house had electric lights and a faucet by the back door - no sink or plumbing.


We were married April 7th, 1918, at the Roach residence - 602 North 65th Street, Seattle - with Rev. Peter Klein as officiating pastor.  Mother’s sister, Gladys, was Maid of Honor and my brother, Frank, was Best Man.  It was Sunday afternoon, and we had very few guests.  After some refreshments and goodbyes, Jennie and I walked up the hill, in the rain, and took the “Phinney” car (#21) down to Marion Street, went to the Coleman Dock and caught the boat to Bremerton, then walked to our little house at 339-1/2 – 9th Street, where we spent our half-day honeymoon.  I had to report to work at noon on Monday, the 8th, as the country was at war.  We had some blessed times, there in that little house and the Lord wondrously protected us from the “Flu Epidemic” of September 1918; five different men who were assigned to help me on the punch press were stricken down with the flu.


David and Dick are Born


In January 1919, we were able to rent a nice little house, complete with plumbing, just over the fence from ours at $20 per month and it was here, at 1131 Cogean Avenue, that David was born.


In October 1919, we bought a place in the outskirts of Bremerton, at Rolph and Marguerite Streets, with nearly 1/4 acre of ground and several fruit trees.  It had an old four-room house with no plumbing (but water on the back porch) and no electricity.  Our neighbor coached me and I wired it with lights in every room and an outlet in the kitchen; it was here that Dick was born on February 11, 1921.


In July 1921, I was laid-off at the Navy Yard and the Lord enabled me to obtain work for Sears, Roebuck and Company in Seattle, during a quite severe depression, taking over their repair shop for Department 30.  We were able to rent a small house in West Seattle, on West 49th Avenue near Admiral Way, where we lived for about six months.  Then we were asked to move into the home of Mr. Arthur DeLacey (whose wife had passed away) who needed help in taking care of his little son, Arthur Jr.  This arrangement lasted some four or five months, then Mr. DeLacey became engaged to a Miss Christian and they were to be married.


Jean, Margaret, and Brad are Born


We were then able to obtain a house at 6033 - 4th Avenue N.W., in Seattle, which is where Jean was born October 19, 1922; later, while we were living in this same house, Margaret was born at the Norwegian Hospital August 3, 1924.  About September 1924, we were able to arrange to buy the house next door – at 6037 - 4th N.W. – from the Mattisens and it was here that Bradford was born July 27, 1926.


About the time of Jean’s birth, the Lord enabled me to get transferred from the shop to the buying office of the Auto Supply Department and I was there until April of 1925, when arrangements were being made to open their first retail store on the Pacific coast, Chicago having opened their first retail store January 1925, and this store was opened May 4th, 1925.  Here, I was in charge of the Auto Accessory Department.


There were many who predicted that Sears was making a big mistake in opening a retail store away out south at Utah and Lander Streets, even though they provided a large parking lot for their customers’ cars, but the Saturday before the 30th of May, 1925, the Auto Accessory Department took in over $1,200; on the Saturday before the 4th of July following, we took in over $2,500 and the next year on the Saturday before the 4th of July, we took in over $5,200.  On the 14th or the 15th of July 1926, I was asked to move to Stockton, California to act as pick-up buyer for the store there and to leave on the 17th, which was done.


On October 4th, Mother and the family were able to join me at Stockton - Bradford having been born while I was away - although I was able to arrive home a couple of days after his arrival and remain home for a week.  The Company arranged for Mother’s sister, Ruth, to accompany her and help with the children; all at Sears’ expense.  I had been able to rent a house, at 327 North Locust Street in Stockton, and we had very sweet fellowship with the saints there and the Sunday school work there was very encouraging.


In February 1927, we were asked to move to Los Angeles, where I was to be buyer for a temporary store which was soon to open there (prior to the opening of their large mail-order retail-store combination) and their Vermont Avenue Store.  Here, I was able to rent a satisfactory house in Monterey Park, at 331 North McPherrin Street, and the family joined me about a week, or so, later.  Again, the Firm sent Ruth along to help Mother with the children - at their expense.  About August 1st, I was transferred to the Boyle Heights plant to serve as Merchandise Supervisor for the retail stores of the Los Angeles district.  July 1928, it was decided that we were to move to Reno, Nevada, to open the store there as Manager.


We left Monterey Park July 10th and arrived in Reno late the next night, having driven up in our 1922 model Dodge car.  We stayed in a hotel for a couple of days, looking for a house, then moved into an apartment for about two weeks when we were able to rent the Lenecke house for $50 per month.  It was a two-story affair, large, and a brute to heat.  We lived here for nearly a year, then the Lord opened the way for us to lease a house at 38 Mary Street, at $35 per month, for one year.


The store was opened July 23rd, I believe, and what an awful building it was; the electrical system was very poor and there was a hotel above us which housed a good many immoral women.  Quite often, we had the unfortunate experience of someone vomiting into the washbowl then turning on the water to flush it down, then going to sleep - without shutting off the water - and we received a flood which could be very damaging.


This store was at 360 North Virginia Street but we were able to move to a re-conditioned building at 215 North Sierra Street about November 1, 1929, and things looked quite rosy - for a time.  The depression struck in December and business dropped off very rapidly during January, February and March; we were in the red each of these months.  It was during April that the new District Manager came into the store, on a Monday morning, and we were offered a lesser position in the Sacramento store, if we would accept it, which we gladly did.


Now, in Reno, we were able to fellowship with the Alliance Church group in Sparks, Nevada, but a group of us who lived in Reno met at Lake Tahoe on Labor Day, 1928, and prayerfully discussed the possibility of starting sort of a Mission Sunday school and church work in Reno.  This we did, and we were able to get the use of one of the school houses for our Sunday School and, once a month, we remembered the Lord together; there were only 12 to 15 of us, so gathered, but there were some 50 or so at the Sunday School.


We left Reno from the McClure home fairly early in the morning in our 1924 Dodge car, with our pots, pans, clothing and blankets packed in the car, driving up via Susanville - Red Bluff route to Sacramento, arriving there about 4 p.m. that evening.  We had arranged for the transfer company to ship our furniture via rail the following day - which was the last day of our year’s lease at 38 Mary St.  This is how accurately the Lord times things!




Upon our arrival at Sacramento, we went directly to the Sears store, where I met the new manager.  He told me that he had been looking for three weeks for a suitable apartment, without success, and, when I told him that I wished to locate a house before coming to work, he remarked that I would not, likely, show up for two weeks, or so.


I went out, bought two newspapers and searched the “For Rent” columns with Mother, after prayer, and then started checking the three likely looking addresses.  Number one was totally unsuitable; two was a Real Estate office, which was closed; the third address was a hotel and I went in to enquire.  The clerk said, “This is a hotel, this is not a Real Estate Office, there must be some mistake.”  But, when I showed him the ad in the paper, he was nonplussed.  Then, one of the residents of the hotel spoke up and said, “The owner has some houses and might be advertising one - why not give her a call?”  The clerk did, and Mrs. Davidson (the owner) came down from her apartment upstairs.  She was the one who was advertising the house; five rooms on 1/4 acre of land with fruit trees, water supplied, at $25 per month.


We accompanied her out to the house - here there were beds, springs and mattresses in each of the three bedrooms, a dining table, chairs, gas range connected and electricity still connected.  We paid her a down payment on the rent and unloaded our bedding, clothing, pots and pans.  We lacked any bed linen or we could spend the night right there; however, upon hearing this, Mrs. Davidson said, “Look, I have lots of linens there at the hotel, and dishes, and I would be glad to loan these to you until your goods arrive from Reno.”  Thus, we were able to take her back to the hotel, pick up these things, buy some groceries at the supermarket and move in, that evening.  The next morning, I was able to place my deposit on the gas and electricity and was able to report to work at noon, to the amazement of the store manager.  We truly thank God for this and the many other definite answers to prayer, which He has given us, through the years.


We had sweet fellowship with the little assembly there in Sacramento; also, with the Shepards and Roy Moyer in a Sunday school and mission work which they carried on in another part of town.


Charlotte was born here October 22, 1930, at the Sacramento County Hospital.  When I was ready to take Mother and Babe home, I checked on my bill and the Lady asked me, “How many children do you have?”  I told her that this one made six, then she asked what my salary was, and I told her $30 per week; she then said, “There will be no charge.”  I praised the Lord, but nearly collapsed from shock!  This was such a contrast from Reno, where - as Store Manager - I was expected to pay well for everything.


Two days before New Years, I was notified that we were being transferred to San Francisco and that I was expected to report for work on January 2nd, which was a Friday.  I drove over to San Francisco on New Years Day, leaving Mother feeling poorly but hoping that it was not serious, met with the saints that evening at the Brethren Hall and was invited to stay with the Sherratts until the family could move over.


I went to work Friday morning and the Assistant Manager sent me out, with another employee, to look for a house and we located two possible houses.  Saturday morning, when I went to work, I was told that Sacramento long distance was trying to get in touch with me.  Upon contact, I was told that Mother had taken very sick Thursday evening and had been rushed to the hospital on Friday morning for surgery - removal of a ruptured appendix - and seemed to be resting comfortably now; the children were parceled out to various homes, and for me to come as soon as I could to make arrangements.


I left at noon and drove to Sacramento, counseled with friends there, then telephoned Tully Roach, in Seattle, and arranged for Letcher and Grace to come down and keep house for the family in Sacramento until Mother would be back on her feet and able to look after things.  I returned to San Francisco and they arrived in Sacramento a few days later and were able to bring the family together and look after our home while I boarded with the Sherratts and worked at the store.


About two weeks later, Mother was able to return from the hospital and I was there to pick her up.  Again, I asked what my bill was and was given the same answer, “There will be no charge.”  Praise the Lord!  Truly, His mercies are new every morning.


When Mother began to gain strength I started, again, to look for a house and was able to find one at 351 Orizaba Avenue; we moved about the first of February 1931.  I should mention that in all of these moves, Seattle to Stockton to Los Angeles to Reno to Sacramento to San Francisco, Sears paid all the moving expenses.  We thank the Lord for causing them to do this.  We lived here a little less than a year, when we had the opportunity to buy a place at 710 Lakeview Avenue for $3,500, at $25 down and $75 per month.  It was while we lived here that Joseph was born June 27th, 1932, some weeks after we had taken a vacation near Petaluma, California.  We had come into contact with a lot of poison ivy, intertwined with blackberry vines that were loaded with berries, and in picking these berries we all contracted the poison ivy.  Although Mother had contracted this, in the mercy of the Lord, Joe did not get infected.


While in Sacramento, I had been selling on the floor, mostly, but did a fair amount of service and repair work; however, in San Francisco, my work was service and repair of all appliances as well as installation and adjustment of gas and coal ranges.  This required that I obtain a gas plumber’s license.


Here in San Francisco, we became greatly concerned about the housing situation, with relation to our children, for the houses were built directly one against the other and the only place for play and recreation was on the streets.  I searched all the way to Palo Alto for an old place with one or two acres where we could have a cow, some chickens, etc., but could find nothing.


It was during these years that David became very interested in “Ham” radio and obtained his Class B license at 15 years of age, and his Class A license at 16, but was drifting farther away from the things of God and made his boast to Dick that, when he was 17, he would throw off “all this religious stuff.”


I should have mentioned, before, that in June 1929, we made a trip up to Seattle to attend the Mumford’s wedding although we had been notified, too late, that the wedding was postponed for a week or so.  On this trip, we used a 1924 Dodge sedan with “Pullman Facilities” -- a little toilet and a gallon of water.  We left Reno early in the morning and, that evening, we stopped at Jackson’s Hot Springs Motel at Ashland, Oregon, some 400 miles distant.  The next night at a motel east of Vancouver, Washington, then to Tacoma at noon the next day.


On our trip in 1932, we carried a tent and camped each night.  I just recall that, coming home in 1932, we came east of the mountains past Yakima and Grandview and ferried across the Columbia River at a point where there were many signs warning of quick-sand; then down the Oregon side of the river to Springdale, where we visited with dear Brother Crowston.  He was suffering from cancer and died shortly after our visit.  Then, at Portland, we joined Highway 99 and, thus, went south.



Front L to R: Margaret, Jean, Brad

Back: Dave, Roy, Charlotte, Jennie, Dick

Hartt family - early 1932


In September 1932, we received word that my mother had had a paralytic stroke and was not expected to live, so I went, by bus, to Tacoma and visited for a few days.  When I was assured by Dr. N.A. Jepson that her heart was strong and that she might live for a number of years, I returned to San Francisco.


In July of 1933, we made the trip up to Seattle in our 1928 Dodge-Graham screen-side truck with two extra sedan seats mounted in the cargo space.  We followed the Coast Highway up to Eureka, then cut east to the Trinity River, turned north on a one-way road on the cliff over to a bridge where we crossed the Trinity to the east side, shortly before the Trinity runs into the Klamath River.  We then followed up the Klamath, crossing it to the north bank and on up to Happy Camp where we turned north up a little stream.  There we camped over night amidst many gnats and mosquitoes - and no fish!  The next day, we followed up the Klamath River to the junction of Highway 99 and followed 99 north to Seattle.


In Tacoma, we found my mother able to sit up in a chair and walk, a little, pushing a chair before her for support.


Our return was via Highway 99 all the way to Davis, California, where we turned west to San Francisco.


In April 1934, we bought a 1926 Marmon Big 6 Sedan car, a seven-passenger model, and, about the first of July, we took Grandpa Roach (who had come down to be with us) and went up to Lake Tahoe for a good holiday.  Here, we climbed to the summit of Mt. Rose and played in the snow but, on our return to the car, which we had driven to a point on Incline Pass, we discovered that the engine was in bad shape.  The next day, we “limped” the machine home and prepared the Dodge Coupe for a trip to Yosemite Valley, which Father Roach had hoped that we would see on our way home from Lake Tahoe.


The next day, David, Father and I made the trip up to Yosemite and, on our way, were able to make a wonderful find in the way of Del Monte Peaches - we were told to help ourselves.  It was a lovely trip and Father enjoyed it to the full.


That fall, I rebuilt the Marmon engine, for less than $20, with used parts.  Then, during the winter, we built a sleeping trailer in which we could sleep seven - four children with their heads to the front across the width on an upper level and two adults crosswise below them with Joe, the “baby,” between the wheel boxes.  It also had food compartments on the under sides, in front of the wheels.


In 1935, we again made a trip up to Tacoma and Seattle in time to attend my mother and father’s Golden Wedding Anniversary, taking the Marmon and the trailer, but experienced considerable trouble with the engine heating up in the Sacramento Valley.  We stopped at Cottonwood to have some welding done on the trailer hitch (which I had improvised) and had supper there.  Then, we put Mother and five of the children to bed in the trailer while Dave, Dick and I were in the car.  Dave was sleeping in an improvised bed in the back seat assembly, while Dick watched as I drove the car.  As we got into the cooler mountain air, we had no trouble with the engine heating and we were able to hold 50 mph up and down hill.  Dave woke at Ashland and I turned the car over to him while I slept.  We got the family up at Eugene, Oregon, and had breakfast.  That day, we arrived in Tacoma and had a nice visit with my folks.


We then went on to Seattle and Emander (where Father and Mother Roach had moved) and had a nice visit with them.  We returned via Centralia and stopped with the Nelsons, where we loaded up one or two boxes of Black Republican cherries and a 15-gallon can of honey.  We had to cook the cherries at the California border and I scorched them, in the cooking, but I believe that most of them were eaten.




It was while on this return trip that the Lord started to stir us as to transferring out of San Francisco and we decided to look into the possibility of obtaining a transfer.  Now, shortly after this, the Pacific Coast Vice President of Sears was in our store and I was able to have a good heart-to-heart talk with him regarding a transfer and the possibility of withdrawing my profit-sharing money to enable me to buy a home, with some acreage, for my family.  He took the matter up with Chicago and also contacted Spokane.  It was through this that the Lord enabled us to make a transfer to the Spokane store.


Dave and I drove up to Spokane, arriving there Friday evening, and contacted the store Saturday morning.  Before leaving our motel, we had prayed that the Lord would guide us to a suitable home to buy and that His will regarding a transfer would be done.  The house we were directed to that morning was the one we later bought (though we looked at many other places) but this was God’s choice for us and we were accepted for a transfer.  We praise the Lord for His mercy and guidance.


The word of acceptance was given us Saturday evening and we left Sunday morning, driving to Tacoma and carrying a sack of apples from the place we had seen.  Sunday night there was a very severe frost (October 26, 1935) that killed half of the fruit trees throughout the Spokane Valley and including the place we had seen.


We left San Francisco late Thursday afternoon and got to San Rafael where we spent the night and decided that we had to get rid of our stuff.  The trailer on which we were trying to haul our goods was not road-worthy.  On Friday, we sold most of our stuff, shipped some, and were able to leave San Rafael Saturday noon and drive up past Klamath Falls, Oregon, onto an Indian Reservation, where we spent the night.


After much car trouble, some of which was my fault, we got away from there at 6:00 PM Monday evening and drove up to Wasco, where we spent the rest of the night at a motel.  We were off early in the morning and on to Spokane where we arrived at 7:00 PM, spent the night in a motel, and I went to work the next morning - serving as Shipping Clerk.


For nearly two weeks, Mother and the family searched for the proper place for us to buy in Spokane, checking with the various Real Estate agencies, but the Manny Place - which Dave and I had seen on our scouting trip - was the favorite and we were able to buy and move in in February 1936.


This property consisted of two acres, a lovely solid house, full plumbing, etc., and the purchase price of $2,900 included many boxes of apples, several cords of wood, the farm tools and so forth.  Later, we were able to buy eight acres that lay around our property, making a total of ten acres, and were able to have Mr. Hughes (later, our brother-in-law) build us a barn, which was quite a help.


In July 1936, we bought the 1936 Model 85 Ford V-8 Sedan, trading in the Marmon for $83. We also took over the Yardley Sunday School, for the American Sunday School Union, as Superintendent.  Also, in July, David went to the Conference at Lake Sammamish with Grandma Roach - and was gloriously saved, for which I have never ceased to thank God for it revolutionized his life completely.   At Lake Sammamish, Dave was thrown in contact with a number of Prairie students, who influenced his life, and later led to his going to Prairie Bible Institute.  After his conversion, Dave and Dick would both take their Bibles to high school where they would witness for the Lord, and it was in 1937 that Dave graduated.


We were attending the Sunday evening services at the First Brethren Church and, during the summer of 1937, Dave Hartt, Ray Staley and Lloyd Lessler started up a Sunday school at Deer Creek, near Mount Spokane; when Dave went to Bible School, in the fall of 1938, Dick, Jean, Margaret, Bradford and I carried this on until we moved in 1940.  We thank God that we will meet some in glory who were led to Christ through this work.


In the fall of 1939, Prairie Bible Institute opened a high school for other than staff children, as well as staff children, and our Jean and Margaret were able to attend - Jean for grade 12 and Margaret for grade 9.


In March of 1940, I suffered a sort of nervous difficulty, leaving me unable to express myself verbally, so I took ten days of my vacation and went over to Seattle for treatment by Dr. N.A. Jepson.  He termed it extreme exhaustion and urged me to stop most of my preaching activities, which I did.


In May, my father went home to be with the Lord and we all attended the funeral, in South Tacoma, which was a time of glorious victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.


In late May, I took Father Roach up to Prairie to attend Jean’s graduation from high school and, while these few days off had been arranged back in March for this purpose, yet (owing to the pressure of work) the management did not want me to leave and I went against their will.  Upon my return, the resultant discord was such that I resigned about 10 AM that morning but, later, wondered if I had been too hasty.  However, about 11:15 AM, Dave (who had an early noon hour there) came out onto the shipping platform to eat his lunch and stopped me as I went by, and said, “Daddy, I think it is time for you to quit Sears.”  I looked at him and said, “Son, I resigned at 10:00 AM this morning.  He jumped up and hugged me and exclaimed, “Praise the Lord, for I have been praying about this for some time.”  This convinced me that God had led me in the matter of resigning.


May I digress to say that when Father Roach and I drove up to the Music Building, at Prairie (which was then Main Dorm) there were two girls sitting on the front steps, watching, and suddenly one of them just flew down the steps and we were engulfed by Margaret, who took us over to Mr. Maxwell’s house where the seniors were being entertained; suddenly, Jean burst out of the house and we were again engulfed.  It was so good to see them again and be with them.  Graduation was the next day and the following day we drove home.


Bremerton Area


It was a week or more before I was able to get away from Sears, Roebuck, but on a Tuesday evening I was able to ride over to Seattle on the Eckert truck and then went over to Bremerton Navy Yard, where the Lord enabled me to get on as a Machinist’s Helper - for a 44 hour week at a dollar more, per week, than I had been getting at Sears for a 54 hour week.


I immediately started looking for a place for the family and, after much searching, sent Mother some maps and requested her to study them and decide just what area she would like to have me locate.


About a week later, there was an ad in the paper, “Large old log house on 4 acres of land, $750.”  In following this up, I discovered that this was an old place that we had visited when David was 6-months old, and we had often talked about it as an ideal place.  Of course, it was quite run down by this time but had many possibilities.  I wrote to Mother concerning this and suggested that I should offer $700 cash for it, but stated that I would do nothing until I heard from her.


At this time, I was boarding with the Roy Bear family and imagine my surprise, upon reaching the house, to be told that I had a letter from Mother and she told me that she had the maps and would like me to locate a place somewhere between Tracyton and Silverdale, and said, “You remember that large log house near Silverdale, where they had the lovely strawberries on the hillside?  I would like a place like that.”  She enclosed a check, from Sears, closing out our profit-sharing money, which I could use for “earnest money.”


The Real Estate Company who had advertised the property discovered that they could not sell it to us; they had not foreclosed on the man, who was way behind in his payments.  However, the Lord arranged that we were able to buy from this man and get immediate possession.  At this same time, the Lord sent a buyer in answer to prayer to purchase the Spokane property.  We were very grateful, and we were able to have the family moved over the fore part of July 1940.


This place proved to be a very satisfactory location for us, being only two miles from Silverdale, where we could fellowship with the saints at the Silverdale Bible Church and there were stores, a post office, etc.; also, there was bus service to and from the Navy Yard from just below our house.


That fall, we lined up with the Sunday School Union and they arranged for us to work at Lone Rock Sunday School, which we did until we left for Prairie in June 1944.  Jean and Margaret both helped me in opening the Sunday School work at Lone Rock and we thank God for this contact, for we believe that some souls were saved during that time.


It was during February of 1941 that my dear Mother went home to be with the Lord at South Tacoma, Washington, after having suffered a stroke some nine years before; now, she is in the presence of her loving Savior whom she is praising together with my Father who went on before, in early May 1940.


About a year after coming to the Navy Yard, I transferred to the Drillers and stayed with them for about six months, then received a call as a Machinist and served with them for about two and a half years.  It was during this time that they organized a “Trial Engineer Crew” under Jimmie Segari and the Personnel Director suggested my name for this crew, for which I was very thankful.  This gave me valuable experience in preparation for service at Prairie.  This work included operating turbine-powered generators plus nearly every other equipment in an engine room of a ship.


Prairie Bible Institute


It was the fall of 1943 that Mother and I felt called to come to Prairie Bible Institute as students, but felt that we would have to wait until the following spring to sell the property.  This the Lord enabled us to do and we were able to sell for cash, including all our various personal equipment and furniture.  The folk who bought our place wanted possession by June 1st but we could not move until June 15th for Margaret and Bradford were up at Prairie, Bradford would not graduate until June 8th and would have to drive home.  We paid the buyers rent for the half-month.


The Lord opened the way for us to move over to Lake Sammamish Bible Camp on the 15th, which was a real answer to prayer, as I had promised Margaret and Brad that they could have a full month in the State of Washington before we would move up to Prairie and the Lord enabled us to spend three months there at Lake Sammamish as the Mumfords (who were moving up to Prairie together with us) were unable to sell their property, in Olympia until about September 8th.


We finally got started for Prairie September 16th, in the late afternoon, and we arrived at Prairie September 27th after various difficulties - including two split wheels and several flat tires.  We had started from Lake Sammamish with about 3,500 lbs. load in the trailer but, at Cle Elum, we shipped about 1,000 lbs. of books, etc., by rail freight to Three Hills.  Even with the lighter load, we split two wheels and had many flat tires.  This trailer, which we bought for $140, had near-center-mounted tandem axles and 600 x 16 tires.  The body was 14 ft. long, 8 ft. wide and 6 ft. high with a removable back panel - a veritable “van.”  Some time after our arrival at Prairie, Mrs. Frost bought it and used it as a sleeping room for one of her girls.


I should mention that, in 1944, the United States was in the midst of “gas rationing” and upon my resigning from the Navy Yard I applied for rations on the basis of 11 miles to the gallon, pulling that trailer.  The clerk changed my papers to a 12-miles-to-the-gallon basis, stating that that was the best they were allowed to do.  I prayed that the Lord would see us through and, when I went and picked up my ration book, I discovered that the Lord had caused them to give me over 30% more gallons than I had originally asked for.  When Clarence Mumford and I, with our families, filled our gas tanks at Babbs, Montana, before crossing into Canada, I had one ration ticket over and Clarence lacked one ticket of being able to fill his tank.  Thus, the Lord had taken care of us even to the last detail.  Praise the Lord!


I should have mentioned that Bradford was to graduate from high school at Prairie in early June 1944, so I came up by train for the graduation and rode back with Bradford and Margaret (who had remained as a summer worker since the close of Bible School) plus three other students.  We were in the 1929 Plymouth car that we had bought for the children’s transportation and the Lord gave us a very pleasant trip home.


While up at Three Hills, at this time, I searched for a place to rent or buy but was totally unsuccessful as there was nothing available.  While I was looking for housing, the Lord caused the Board at Prairie to meet and consider our case and, although they normally did not permit grade school children to room in the dormitories, Joe - who would be in Grade 7 - could room with his brother, Bradford, who would be a Bible School student that fall.  Thus, we could all be dormitory students: Mother and I in “G” dorm, Margaret and Charlotte in “The Annex” and Bradford and Joe in “H” dormitory.  This was truly an answer to prayer for both Bradford and Margaret had requested that they might live in the dormitories and eat in the dining room in order to hear the various announcements that, at that time, were made there.  The Board approved the arrangement.


During that year of 1944-45, Mother and I had a blessed year as students, and a very busy one. Mother had 19 hours of study and I forget how many I had in the first of the two-year course, but I was kept real busy.  There was no staff electrician so, if something broke down, I would get called out of class or out of “study hours” as the case might be, but the Lord saw us through and it was a blessed experience.  We stayed on as “summer workers” during the summer of 1945 while Margaret served under Emil Axine in southern Alberta and Bradford was out with Earl Tygert on “Team” ministry for Prairie.


During the school term, we wired the Mumford, Denham and Bradford houses, the new addition (or north portion) of the High School, plus the “Radio Studio” which was the north section of the “Music Annex.”  During the summer, we wired the barn at the farm, Roy Davidson’s house, the new trunk room, plus several other projects.


For our vacation, Mother, Charlotte, Joe and I (together with the Mumford family) spent a lovely ten days out at the Red Deer River by the Morin Ferry site.


It was just before Bible School opened that fall, that the Board wrote us a letter inviting us to join the staff and carry on the electrical work.  After prayerfully considering this, we were convinced that this was the Lord’s plan for us and we praise him for the privilege, for these have been the best 12 years of our lives.


Upon joining the staff at Prairie in September 1945, Mother continued working in the Laundry where she had done her student work, and I in the Electric Shop -- both full-time jobs.  The great diversity of the work, in my case, made it very challenging for, at that time, the repair and maintenance of all appliances and equipment in the laundry, kitchen and much of the heating system fell to our department as well as the home appliances of the staff.


The summer of 1946 Bradford went out on “Team” with Earl Tygert, again, but, before leaving, requested that we postpone our vacation until he returned so that he could go with us.  That summer, a Mrs. Brett offered Prairie the use of her “Johnson Cabin” at Banff for $100 for ten weeks, which they gladly accepted.  Mrs. Maxwell contacted Mother and suggested that our two, families take the last two weeks of the ten, which would fall just after Bradford returned.  This we did, and - taking the 1936 Ford, the 1929 Plymouth and Marvin Olson’s long open trailer - the 9 Maxwells and the 6 Hartts, together with bedding, clothing, food, etc., went to Banff where we had a most wonderful vacation.  Truly the Lord has been very good to us, and we praise him for it.


It was in May 1946, that we were granted “Landed Immigrant” status.  In the spring of 1947, Margaret graduated from Bible School and, late that summer, the school decided to start the “Prairie Gospel Hour” over many stations, nationwide as well as in the U.S.A.  I was sent down to Seattle to check up on some disc recording equipment which we heard was for sale and, through contacts, we were loaned the use of two “Presto” recording turntables and an amplifier which we used for several years; upon changing to “Tape” recording of our programs, we returned the “Presto” equipment to the owner.


During the summer of 1947 we had a nice family vacation at Gull Lake for a week and, also, for a few days at Banff with the six of us together - Margaret, Bradford, Charlotte, Joe, Mother and I.


In the spring of 1948, Bradford graduated from Bible School and Charlotte from High School; Joe had graduated from Grade School the summer of 1946 and entered High School that fall.


July 31st, Margaret sailed for Portugal out of New York, to work under The Scandinavian Alliance Mission (now known as T.E.A.M.) after having worked in their Chicago office for some months, waiting for passage, etc.  Bradford, meantime, had lined up with The West Indies Mission and was able to go out to Cuba, leaving here the later part of August.  It was during this summer, of 1948, that Mother and I were left alone of all our children -- Charlotte having gone to Spokane to work and Joe to South Dakota to work on the Lomheim farm.  It was a real test, but the Lord was very near.


In the fall of 1940, Mother, Charlotte, Joe and I, together with the four Mumfords, went up to Lake Kinbasket on the Big Bend Highway, using Bert Leuf’s 1950 Chevrolet, and we had a lovely vacation.  The following summer, Charlotte and Marylind worked for these same people in their motel and restaurant while Joe worked at Prince Rupert on a construction job.


Prairie opened a Lumber Camp out west, in the foothills, the winter of 1940-50 that they operated for some eight years.  This added to our work, for we were responsible to install and maintain electric generating and the distribution system for the camp.


On December 7th, 1950, my sister, Katherine, went home to be with the Lord.  She suffered severe strain to her heart in her care of my mother and father before their deaths; later, in the fall of 1943, she had married our dear friend, Arthur Hughes, who was as careful and considerate of her as any husband could be.  This was a severe blow to Arthur, who was 18 years her senior; some few years later, Arthur went to Washington, D.C., to be near his son who was in Government service, there.  Arthur passed away in April 1962, and was buried in Tacoma, Washington, next to my sister.  Mother and I attended the funeral.


Charlotte graduated from Bible School in April 1951, and worked in Seattle for a time before lining up with T.E.A.M.  She went to candidate school and, later, worked in the TEAM office before her wedding to Richard Griffiths.  Joe went out on “Team” for Prairie during the summers of 1951 and 1952; he graduated from Bible School in April 1953, then went out on “Team” for Prairie for several weeks before going to Spokane, where he worked for a lumberman to earn money to pay his way through Seattle Pacific College.  He graduated in June 1956, and Mother and I were able to attend his graduation, together with Bradford, Ruth, and their little Margaret.


Late fall, of 1952, Bradford had come back from Cuba after a severe bout of hepatitis and, after a month of recuperation in the southern states, came up here in December after a harrowing experience on the bus near Toronto.  It was December 17th, 1953, that Bradford gave Ruth Maxwell a diamond ring, having proposed to her November 17th, and they were married March 27, 1954.  Margaret, having come home from the field, was able to be Maid of Honor.


In January1954, Bradford took Mother and me in his 1941 Ford back to Chicago for Charlotte’s wedding to Richard Griffiths on January 23rd and we went by way of Montana and returned through Winnipeg and, then, Saskatchewan.  Joe was “Best Man” at Charlotte’s wedding.


In November 1952, I had a “resection” operation, after which ulcers of the bladder developed that gave me severe difficulty for over ten years.  In June 1954, my brothers, Frank and Paul, came up from Tacoma and invited us to come down to their place to seek recovery.  This we did, for a month or more, and then we were nearly a month at Lake Sammamish receiving treatments from Dr. Jepson.


Charlotte and Dick came by on deputation and brought us back to Three Hills, where we found that our apartment had been enlarged and remodeled, giving us a sink, electric stove, and kitchen cupboards which we have enjoyed ever since returning from Tacoma in 1954.  I should mention that, during our first five years, we lived in “G” dormitory with one room in the winter and two rooms in the summer and ate in the dining room; then, in the fall of 1949 we were given two rooms in the old infirmary building (the infirmary having moved into their new building) which gave us more room, but we still ate in the dining room.


In 1955, Dick urged me to come down to Los Angeles to see what could be done for my ulcers.  I went down in April and took treatments from Dr. Craig for about a month, which I think helped some, but they still persisted and in April 1957, I went to Bozeman, Montana, where Dr. Sherrer treated me (having me return every six months, or so) after which the difficulty seemed to ease off and, finally, disappeared a few years later.


In January 1957, Margaret had received her visa and had arranged passage back to Portugal and requested that I come to Chicago and accompany her to New York, to see her off on the ship.  This I did, and we left Chicago for New York via Washington, D.C., where we had a nice visit with Uncle Arthur, met his son’s family, and the next day went on to New York where (after some last minute shopping and packing) I was able to see her off on the ship.  Praise the Lord!


On my returning to Prairie, I was able to visit Dick Griffiths’ parents near Philadelphia, then to Harrisburg to visit friends who had helped to finance this trip, then to Detroit to inspect some generating equipment for Prairie; at this time we learned of some other equipment which had just become available in Louisiana - which we later purchased - and then on back to Prairie.


It was the year before this that we had inspected some generating equipment at North Battleford, Saskatchewan, and then we purchased it; for the next few years, we purchased transformers and switchgear material in preparation for our setting up our own power generating plant.  After having it in stand-by condition for a few months, the Lord enabled us to get into operation January 1961.  At first, we had the turbine generator from Louisiana, 300 kW, plus 151 kW Bellis & Morcom reciprocating steam unit, plus a 300 kW diesel unit.


In 1961, Margaret returned from Portugal and we were able to accompany her from Seattle to Los Angeles and then back here to Prairie, which gave us a good visit.


In 1962, Dave wrote us from Haiti that he would be coming home on furlough and would like us to secure a car and go with them down to the Spokane, Seattle and Vancouver areas so that we could have a real visit.  A few days after receiving this letter, Brother Muddle offered us his 1947 Plymouth, in good running order, and we bought it; about a week later, we were notified about Uncle Arthur’s funeral, which was to be held in Tacoma, so Mother and I drove down in the Plymouth.  Later, we accompanied Dave and his family on their trip in the Northwest - for which we praised the Lord.


It was later that year that Uncle Clarence Munford received a stroke, and the following spring Mother slipped in the Main Office Building, broke her hip, and had to have a pin inserted in the joint.  I sold the Plymouth, bought a 1950 Dodge with engine trouble and rebuilt this with Dave’s help - and, with this car, Mother on crutches and I drove down to Seattle and Tacoma to visit my brother, Paul, who was in the Marine Hospital with terminal cancer; we stayed nearly a week and, after visiting Paul at the hospital, drove back home.  The Lord took Paul home November 1963, about ten days after we had left him in the hospital.  We were unable to attend that funeral.  He had lacked about one month of being 71 years of age.


In 1964, Mother and I took Uncle Clarence and Aunt Nina in the Dodge (using a top rack) down to Lancaster, California, to visit Marylind and Walter and family while we visited Dick and Jean in Pasadena, Joe and Brita in Monterey and Jean and Don in Concord, after which we met the Mumfords at Betz and Fred’s at Exeter, and all went up to Hume Lake and back.  Next day we were on our way back to Prairie, arriving safely by God’s grace.  I should mention that we carried Clarence’s folding wheel chair in the trunk and his crutches in the car.


Trip to Portugal


In 1965, Mother and I were able, by the grace of God, to make a trip to Portugal (our passage being met through retroactive Social Security payments) and we drove back to Montreal, where we left the car with friends, then took the plane to New York and from there to Lisbon.  There we were met by Margaret and had a wonderful time with her, then she accompanied us back to New York and to Montreal and we drove back to New York and on down to Washington D.C. to visit with Joe and Brita.  On our return to New York by car, we visited the Worlds Fair and Mother suffered with severe pains in her legs that night and for the next few days as we visited Joe and Brita with the result that Mother and Margaret flew back to Calgary.  A very eventful trip it was, for at Chicago their plane had engine trouble and had to he replaced and, at Minneapolis, this plane had engine trouble and had to he replaced; later, at Great Falls, Montana, they could not land (owing to very thick fog) then on to Spokane, where the airport was fogged in, so they went on to Portland - where they spent the night.  They returned to Spokane, and then Calgary, the next day.


Joe very kindly accompanied me in the car to Chicago, and then flew home “stand-by,” while I drove on home and arrived in time for Prairie’s Fall Conference.


I found Mother and Margaret in real good spirits, Mother having discovered the cause of her trouble, and she and Margaret suggested that we accompany Margaret on her visit to friends and supporters on the Coast.  We took a 1952 DeSoto car (which the school had supplied because one of their cars had rammed ours, while it was parked by our house, “totaling” it) and drove to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, then to Seattle, Los Angeles, Exeter, Concord, etc.; we had a blessed time with Margaret.


1966 saw Mother and me in our 1956 Chevrolet sedan drive to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, to attend the Northern Canada Evangelical Mission Conference, then later to Alexis Creek, B.C. to do a wiring job on a NCEM mission house, there, with Mr. and Mrs. Harold Roberts and Mr. and Mrs. Quentin King who were the local missionaries.


1967, spring, we flew - via Toronto - to Tampa and visited Brad and Ruth; in December, we went by train to Racine, Wisconsin, to spend Christmas with Charlotte and Dick and family, which was very pleasant.  However, the return trip was quite an experience, for the weather was extremely cold and the train was delayed for many hours and several of the heating pipes froze up, making parts of the train very cold.


In March of 1968, Mother slipped on some ice, coming home from Aunt Nina’s house, and broke her other hip that put her in the hospital (local) and we celebrated our golden wedding anniversary with her in a wheel chair at our Prairie Spring Conference.  It was that summer, while on crutches, that Mother started fishing.  I might mention that we sold the 1956 Chevrolet, the spring of 1967, and, that fall, we bought a 1951 Studebaker Sedan that we used on many fishing trips out west and into B.C.


In 1969, Joe and Brita invited us to come down and visit them at Seabrook, Texas, and we drove the Studebaker down to Navajo, NM, where Jean and Don made us very welcome and showed us around the area.  Then, we drove across to Houston and then Seabrook, where Joe and Brita made us very welcome.  Joe bought us tickets to fly to Tampa and back, so we spent a very enjoyable week with Bradford, Ruth and their family.  We drove back from Houston and arrived home May 14th, 1960.


In June 1960, we drove to Seattle, calling at Homewood on Quadra Island, enroute to attend Paul and Bea Hartt’s wedding June 19th.  We had clutch trouble while in the Seattle area but through Frank Roach’s able assistance we were able to get it repaired.  We praise the Lord for the many, many ways in which He has delivered us from very serious situations and catastrophes.


It was December 28th of this year that my brother, Frank, went to be with the Lord while he was visiting friends and Dick and Jean, in Pasadena; Dick took care of the situation and had the body prepared and shipped to Tacoma.  Frank would have been 80 years old, had he lived to March 23rd, 1970.  Mother and I were preparing to fly to Miami and then on to Haiti, when we received word of Frank’s death, so we altered our plans and went to Seattle, met Joe at Allan Hartt’s and, with them, went to the funeral.  Afterward, Joe flew back to Houston and Mother and I flew to Miami and Haiti, and visited with Dave, Erma and family for a week.  It was very interesting to see the week there but the “voodoo” and poverty were more than Mother’s system could stand, so we flew back home.


On Mother’s birthday I promised to take her fishing wherever she wished and she desired to go to the Blood Indian Dam south of Youngstown (about 90 miles east of here) so we went, although I was afraid that it was a wild goose chase.  We caught our limit of real nice trout (10 each) and started home at dusk - by the time we reached Youngstown it was real dark.  As we started west on the paved highway, about three miles out, there was a year-old steer standing in my lane as I met an approaching car and we hit him.  It killed the steer and wrecked the front of our Studebaker.  The owner of the steer bought us a 1958 Ford Station Wagon that gave us very good service.  We drove this “wagon” down to Seattle to Bruce and Grace’s golden wedding anniversary in October (about the 9th, I think) and back home.  Bruce’s health failed very rapidly, after their 50th anniversary, and the Lord took him home in November; Mother and I were able to fly down for the funeral through Joe’s generosity.


In January 1971, we started out for Tampa, went into a ditch in a blizzard north of Great Falls, Montana, but the Lord took care of us - and the car - and we were able to continue on the second day, through snow and ice, and arrived safely at Joe and Brita’s, near Houston, then on to Tampa.  There, we rented an apartment from “Grace” at $60 per month and stayed for 2-1/2 months, or so, repairing and selling various appliances, etc., to pay expenses.  We drove back via Houston, Los Angeles, Concord, Seattle, and then home.


In late July 1971, Margaret and Russell were home on furlough with their new Toyota car and invited Mother and me to go with them up to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, suggesting that we use our 1958 Ford wagon, at their expense, which we did.  We had a very nice trip, as well as a very pleasant visit, throughout.


A few weeks later, they returned after itinerating in Washington, Oregon and California, and took us to Montana, where we met Russell’s folks, and they, took us to Yellowstone for a lovely tour of the park.


It was while we were at Russell’s folks that we received word of Aunt Grace’s death.  It was impossible to attend the funeral so I telephoned Allan, explaining our circumstances, which he understood.


In December 1972, we again went down to Tampa, going via Montana through Houston to visit Joe, Brita and family, at Seabrook, then on to Tampa, where we lived at 907 E. 22nd Avenue.  We returned in March via Joe and Brita’s as well as Dick and Jean’s in Pasadena, and on up the coast to home.


Again, in November 1973, we went to Tampa, this time through Saskatchewan via Moose Jaw, Portal, etc., and on to Racine Wisconsin to spend Thanksgiving with Charlotte, Dick and family, Dave, Erma and family and Brad, Ruth and the girls - 24 of us, as I recall.  Then, we went on to Tampa, where we rented an apartment at 5118 N. Branch at $110 per month.  It had a garage for a workshop, as well as other advantages.  We returned via Racine in time to celebrate my 80th birthday with Charlotte, Dick and family March 1974; then across to Joe, Brita and family near Denver and, owing to snow in the mountains, we went south through New Mexico, etc., to Dick, Jean and family and then back via I-15 into Utah to visit Jean and Don at Price, Utah, then via Salt Lake, Butte, Great Falls, etc., and home.


In December 1974, we heard that Mother’s brother Frank was very ill with terminal cancer and we determined to try to visit him in the San Francisco Bay area.  In early January, we started out in our 1958 wagon and, before reaching Spokane, we were aware of trouble in the “drive train” of the car; while stopping overnight with Oestreichers, we discovered trouble in the automatic transmission.  We started back home the next afternoon, reaching home safely the next day through the mercy of our loving Lord.


The Lord then put us in touch with a 1965 Meteor station wagon, which we were enabled to buy for $400, and this car took us to the San Francisco area and we had the privilege of visiting Frank just a few weeks before the Lord took him home in March 1975.  Margaret and Russell came home on furlough that summer and we all took our 1965 wagon and drove up to Whitehorse, Yukon, and the Lord gave us a very lovely trip throughout as well as an excellent visit together.


In October 1975, we again made a trip to Tampa, going via Denver to visit Joe, Brita and family, then across to Detroit.  There, we dropped off a shipment of sewing machine heads, destined for Irian Java, which were taken as baggage by fellow missionaries of Charlotte and Dick.


In Tampa, we were able to rent a very suitable apartment at 907 E. 22nd Avenue, on the ground floor, with a little room that I was able to use as a shop.  The rent was $115 per month, furnished, and only a half-mile from Bradford and Ruth’s place.  The Lord prospered our sales and we thank Him.  Bradford’s church had a surprise birthday party for us March 18th and their kindness was overwhelming.  We started home on the 20th, visited Joe, Brita and family in Denver, then Jean and Don at Kemmerer, Wyoming, then via Salt Lake to Los Angeles to be with Dick, Jean and family.  We came back through Salt Lake, Butte, etc., home, arriving in time for the Spring Missionary Conference here April 1976.


In the fall of 1976, we made a trip via Banff, Golden, Revelstoke, through the Okanogan Valley to Twisp, Washington, where we visited Letcher and Dan, then over the North Cascade Highway to Snohomish where we visited Gladys, Grace and Lee, Tully and Ruth, Allan and Olive, plus Isobell.  We visited Peggy at work, then Ruth in Bothell, then on to Ellensburg where we visited my cousins Frank and Eva Johnson, and then on home.


In between these various trips, I have been able to take time-off from work at Prairie and I wired several houses which enabled us to finance some of the traveling - although at Tampa the Lord has enabled us to earn enough to pay our expenses.


Another Trip To Portugal


Early this spring, we received an invitation to attend our granddaughter’s wedding at Racine, Wisconsin, July 23rd, 1977.  We felt that the Lord was leading us to make a trip to Portugal to visit Margaret and Russell, too, so we left here early on the 10th and arrived in Racine on the 21st at the home of Charlotte, Dick and family (who had come home on furlough in June).  It was a lovely wedding and we are praying that the Lord will make them useful vessels in His service.


We left on the 25th for New York via Hagerstown, Maryland, where we visited Joe and Becky Hartt; they are hoping to go out under M.A.F. to the field of God’s appointment.  We had a lovely visit, then on to Long Island to the home of Thomas Roach at 27 Overhill Road, Melville, New York; there, through their kindness, we were able to leave our car.  We were flying “Charter,” New York to Madrid, then T.A.P. Madrid to Lisbon, leaving New York the evening of the 30th.


We arrived at the airport in good time, presented our tickets at the gate and they asked for our passport.  Now, we had gotten a new passport the month before and Mother had decided that she would carry the expired one just for identification purposes in emergencies; when we searched our things, we only had the expired passport.  In the mercy of the Lord, they allowed us to go on to Madrid with this and told us that we would have to get a new at the American Embassy there.  This we did, but we were delayed two days getting it, and arrived in Lisbon August 2nd.  Good, faithful Russell was there watching for us, even then.  I should say that the Lord worked all this out for good, for it cast us more on Him and gave us some good contacts throughout the ordeal.


Margaret and Russell had come up from the T.E.A.M. camp to meet us and had stayed in Ruth Hawes’ vacant apartment (she was at the camp, also) and there we spent the night.  The next day we went down to the camp and there spent a very enjoyable week, then back to Lisbon and on up to Porto for two very enjoyable weeks which included a very interesting two day trip up to the northeast interior of Portugal.  We stayed overnight at a Government-operated “Penson” which was very comfortable.  Portugal is a beautiful country and very interesting but, like here, they greatly need the Lord Jesus Christ, and a trust in His atoning work.


Margaret accompanied us via train down to Lisbon, and the next morning we all went, by taxi, to the airport where Margaret observed us get on the plane and she went back to Porto.  However, our plane did not take off and, after much delay, we were asked to disembark owing to some technical trouble.  It was not until the afternoon flight schedule that we were able to get away from Lisbon and this brought us into Madrid just five minutes after our Charter flight had left for New York.  This caused us to spend a whole week in Madrid for, although the Airline Company, at first, assured us that they would have us out to New York the following day, later on they stated that - owing to our tickets being Charter - they could do nothing.  We went to an inexpensive hotel and phoned Margaret, at Porto, explaining our situation and why, with the result that they drove over to Madrid and we had four lovely days together there and they stayed in our same hotel.


Our charter company kindly arranged to accept our tickets for the 27th of August, instead of the 20th, owing to the fact that it was through no fault of ours that we did not go out on the 20th.  They fly this route each week.  Margaret and Russell saw us to the plane and we had a very enjoyable flight to New York, where Tommy came and met us at the airport and took us to his house.  We had a lovely visit over the Lord’s Day and Monday, then left Tuesday for Racine.


We had a nice visit with Charlotte, Dick and family - staying for nearly a week - then drove on home via Minneapolis, Fargo, Minot, Portal, Moose Jaw, Kindersly, etc.  We praise the Lord for His good hand upon us in all of these travels, and for his care of the car, for the only thing that I had to do to the car was to replace one spark plug (with a used one that I was carrying) at Tommy Roach’s place.


We have mostly spoken of our various travels but we should mention that each week (nearly) we try to get in a one or two-day fishing trip; this might be out west to the foothills, or east to the Blood Indian Dam, or to the various dams and lakes - stocked with Rainbow Trout by the Province - in our immediate neighborhood.  I am, also, thankful to the Lord for the privilege of servicing the various appliances motors, etc., which come to the shop here and for the ability to help in the installation and maintenance of the Power Plant Machinery here on campus.


We also thank God for the very goodly measure of good health that He has permitted us to enjoy, over the years here at Prairie, and we thank Him for His abundant supply for our every need - both temporal and spiritual.  We find our apartment here very comfortable and healthful.  It is, probably, the warmest apartment in the building seeing that it is on the southeast corner second floor and, also, is just above the drying rooms of the laundry downstairs so we have warm floors all the time.  Also, there is one window on the south wall and two on the east wall so we have good ventilation.


Since we are retired staff, the School supplies our groceries, apartment, and all utilities (including steam heat) with the exception of our off-campus telephone.  By the way, the number is (note:  number deleted), in case you may wish to call us.


If the Lord should tarry and we should become unable to look after our own apartment and meals, the School has a “Haven of Rest” where we could go and have a very comfortable room; every need would be looked after and meals are served in a common dining room that is adjacent.  If we were to move there, we would not receive our “grocery allowance” each month; otherwise, there would be no charge.


We praise the Lord for His wondrous provision for us throughout all our days. “Surely, goodness and mercy have followed us all the days of our life, and we shall dwell in the house of the Lord, forever.”


(Note:  David Roy Hartt passed away on May 26, 1993.  Jenny Lind Roach Hartt passed away, before him, on January 13, 1990.)


The Roach Family Background


As I understand it, the Roach clan and the Gibbs clan came over from the British Isles in the early 1700s and settled around New York before they migrated over to eastern Tennessee and, there, found country similar to what they had left in the old country.


Grandpa Frank Roach married Diana Gibbs and Richard, Tom, Martha Jane, Fayette and Lucy were born and the family lived in the Knoxville area.  Richard, who was a natural student, was far more interested in “book learning” than farming, became a schoolteacher, and also became interested in the large family of Rev. Bradford DeMarcus, who was pastor of the Southern Baptist Church in their neighborhood.  The DeMarcuses were of French Huguenot extraction and had emigrated to America many generations before and settled in the Knoxville area of eastern Tennessee.


Rev. Bradford DeMarcus had 15 children by his first wife, who died.  By his second wife were born Nannie, Cornelia, Tom, Furman and Gordon (who died in infancy) and, later, this wife died also.


Some while later he married again but had no children by this wife, called Aunt Mary.


Richard Roach and Cornelia DeMarcus were married in 1895 and Tully was born January 27th, 1897, Jennie Lind, September 17th, 1898, and Gladys Mary, May 19th, 1900.  These three were born at Mynatt, Tennessee and, later, the family moved to Redmond, Washington, where Nancy (Nannie) and her husband, William Johnson, had established a shingle mill a few years earlier.


Let me state, here, that Grandpa Roach was born January 11, 1870, at Church, Tennessee; Grandma Roach was born March 13, 1873, at Mynatt, Tennessee; and, they were married January 30th, 1895.


It was at Redmond, Washington, that Nina Pauline was born June 13, 1902, then the family moved to 602 North 65th Street, Seattle, where Ruth Diana was born April 3, 1905, and Hope Fulds on December 27, 1906.  During this time, Grandpa had been teaching school (both in Redmond and Seattle) as well as working at landscape gardening during the summer months.  In 1907, he was able to enter Civil Service as a mail carrier and he served in this capacity for 28 years, retiring in 1935 at 65 years of age.


Grace Truman was born March 8, 1909, and Letcher Bradford arrived November 12, 1910, followed by Frank Thomas on November 2, 1913, Daniel Gibbs on November 7, 1916 and Louisa May August 20, 1919.


Upon retirement, they sold the home at 602 N. 65th and purchased a lovely place at Emander.  When the Everett Interurban Line was closed down, transportation problems developed so they moved to Everett, to 3227 Norton Avenue, where they lived until they moved into King’s Garden Rest Home for the Aged.


Grandpa and Grandma Roach lived at King’s Garden for many years, then Grandma required more nursing care than the rest home was equipped to give and they were moved to a Nursing home north of Redmond, where Grandma passed away in May 1958, and Grandpa in January 1961.


Children and Grandchildren





In April 1941, David graduated from Prairie Bible Institute and Mother, Charlotte and Joe were able to attend the graduation.  That fall, he and Erma Anhorn (who also graduated from Prairie in April) became engaged and they were accepted for missionary service in Haiti by the West Indies Mission.  They went to Cuba in October 1941, and, after six months, were sent on to Haiti, where they were married March 31st, 1942.


They have six boys: Paul, born October 17th, 1945, married Bea Dyk.  They have two children and are serving under M.A.F. in Surinam, S.A.  Samuel, born February 8th, 1951, married Carol Cox and they are serving under W.I.M. in Haiti.  Joseph, born October 5th, 1953, married Becky and they are hoping to serve with M.A.F.  Daniel, born October 27th, 1953, graduated from Biola Bible College.  Jonathan, born May 22, 1957, is a senior at Moody Bible Institute.  Nathan, born December 14th, 1958, is a student at Biola Bible College.


Dave and Erma are presently in Tallahassee, Florida, where Dave is taking graduate studies to obtain his Doctorate in Communications, before going back to Haiti.  There, the Lord has used him in a marvelous way in a radio ministry.




In the fall of 1940, Dick started attending the University of Washington in Seattle and boarded with my brother, Bruce.  In 1943, he joined the U.S. Army Air Corps where, after training, he received his Pilot’s rating and was flying “B-25” bombers over the China Sea and his squadron was one of the instruments God used to drive the Japanese out of New Guinea.  After the war, he returned to the U. of W., and was graduated in 1946.


It was while he was at the University that he and Jean Trautman became acquainted and they were married in Los Angeles, where her parents had recently moved, on July 6th, 1946.  They both attended May Art Center for a time.  After considerable success in photography, he joined his father-in-law, who is an expert toolmaker, in making very fine and delicate equipment for precision microscopic etching.  This is used to etch the “hair lines” or cross hairs for Bosch & Lomb for the bombsights of U.S. Air Force planes; they are etched in glass and some of the etchings are so fine that one has to use a microscope to read the figures thereon.


They have two children Christopher, born June 19th, 1955, who is presently attending the University of Southern California, and Andrea, born November 27th, 1957, who is also attending college.




Early in 1943, Jean became engaged to Donald Denton, under whom she had worked in the Navy Yard, who had joined the Army Air Corps and was training as a “tail gunner.”  That fall, during a training exercise, Donald received a neck injury that resulted in his being given a medical discharge.


They were married November 25, 1943, and later moved to Kirkland, Washington, where Donald Richard was born November 10th, 1944.  He attended college, served four years in the Air Force, and is now working for Cutter Laboratories in Covina, California.  Gary Lee was born July 14th, 1946, and served two years in the Marine Corps in Vietnam. Later, he began working for the U.S. Postal Service in Martinez, California, married Sue Schmidt and they have two children.  Donald and Jean live in Pittsburg, California.


(Note:  Jean Ellen Hartt Denton passed away on September 25, 1991.  Donald Harry Denton passed away on December 1, 1996.)



Margaret graduated from high school at Prairie in the summer of 1943, then continued on for four years of Bible School and graduated in the spring of 1947.  During the summer of 1945, she worked with Ruby Krenske in southern Alberta with the Japanese there. The following year, Margaret and Charlotte worked together in Daily Vacation Bible School and camp work near Lomond, Alberta, and in the fall of 1946 the six Hartts and the nine Maxwells vacationed together up at Banff, in the “Johnson” cabin.


During her senior year, Margaret got lined up with the Scandinavian Alliance Mission and, after graduation and deputation, she went to Candidate School in Chicago and worked in the S.A.M. office while waiting for booking on a ship to Portugal.  She was able to sail from New York on July 30th, 1948, and the Foreids who were missionaries in Lisbon - met her there and took her into their home.  About two months later Ruth Hawes also came over as a missionary and she and Margaret worked together for several years, until some false charges were made against Margaret and she was forced to leave the country.  She came home March 1954, and it was not until January 1957, that she was able to return to Portugal, and then she was granted a visa as a “Secretary,” not as a “missionary.”


I had the privilege of meeting her in Chicago, then via B. & O. Railway to Washington, D.C., to visit Uncle Arthur Hughes, and on to New York where I saw her off on an Italian liner for Portugal.  In Lisbon, she was able to rejoin Ruth Hawes and - together with Sarah Snead - they set up quite an apartment with Leopoldina (a Portuguese) as their housekeeper.  This carried on pretty well until Margaret and Russell Grewell got married on September 15th, 1968, and Margaret and Russell moved up north to Porto, Portugal, where he had been working for about nine years.  The work has grown quite considerably since they have been working together and the Lord has blessed their efforts.

(Note:  Margaret passed away on April 5, 1995.)



(Note: updated from original)


Bradford married Ruth Maxwell March 27th, 1954, and then served pastoring a church at Granite Falls, Washington, for about one year.  It was here that Margaret Louise was born September 18th, 1955, and about a year later they were able to return to Cuba as missionaries and Lorraine Ruth was born May 30th, 1958.  By August, 1960, it became necessary for the American Missionaries to leave Cuba, so Bradford, Ruth, and their family returned to the U.S. and then, in January 1961, they accepted the pastorate of the Latin American Baptist Church in Tampa, Florida, where they have served for nearly 17 years.  During that time, Carolyn Jean was born on April 1, 1964.


On December 31, l977, the Hartts left Tampa and moved to the Chicago area where Bradford served as pastor of the First Baptist Church in Bensenville, IL for five years.  During that time, Margaret studied at Moody Bible Institute, majoring in piano, and graduated in 1976.  She continued studying at the Chicago Conservatory of Music, and later at DePaul University.  During this time, Lorraine was at the West Suburban School of Nursing in Oak Park, IL., preparing for a career in the medical field.  In 1979, an inoperable brain tumor was discovered, and she passed
away 11 months later, on September 17, 1980.  When Lorraine realized that her condition was terminal, she said, "Well, I belong to the Lord; I'm totally His.  He can do with me whatever He wishes".  I guess that is the
attitude that we all should have, isn't it?  In February, 1983, Bradford began working as Language Missions Director for the Chicago Metropolitan Baptist Association and continued in that position for 6 years.  During that time, Carolyn attended North Park College in Chicago, graduating with a degree in Art in 1988.

In December of 1988, Bradford and Ruth moved to Seattle, WA., to pastor the Primera Iglesia Bautista (First Baptist Church) of Tukwila where they served for nearly 3 years.  They retired in August of 1991, but have continued to minister to Spanish-speaking people in the Puget Sound area as well as in Arizona.  Margaret and Carolyn moved from Chicago to Seattle in the summer of 1994 and each has bought a home in the Seattle area.  Margaret is presently employed as Systems Administrator at Washington Dental Services, and Carolyn worked for some time in her field but at the present time is between jobs.



Charlotte married Richard Griffiths (of Secane, Pa.) who was also an accepted candidate with T.E.A.M. and they were able to sail enroute to the field of Dutch New Guinea in late fall, 1956, some six months after Rebecca Ann was born April 28th.  Richard Alan was born April 15th in New Guinea and Jenine was born at Williams Bay, Wisconsin, where they were on their first furlough. Holly Lynn was born September 15th, 1966, also in New Guinea.  Rebecca Ann is the granddaughter who was married July 23rd, 1977, and whose wedding we attended in Racine.  She married Wesley Gardner, who is the son of missionaries.




After Joe graduated from Seattle Pacific College, he entered Hofstra University on Long Island and he taught, part-time, in the North Port High School through the winter of 1957-58.  He then joined the U.S. Navy Air Force and, after training, received his Pilot’s rating and was assigned to fly jets on the Bon Homme Richard, which he did for several years.


While in training, he married Brita Smith on December 27th, 1960, in Oslo, Norway, and he was assigned to the Del Monte School at Monterey, California, then to the Pentagon, then to Jackson, Florida, as a flight instructor.


Here, he withdrew from the Navy and joined I.B.M. in the computer phase of their astronaut program at N.A.S.A. and they lived at Seabrook, Texas; after some years he left IBM and went into the real estate business in the Denver, Colorado area and they live in Englewood, Colorado.


Steven Knut was born June 11th, 1964, in Monterey, California, and Jeffrey Joseph was born May 18th, 1967, at Jackson, Florida.


(Note:  Joseph Hartt passed away in 1997)